iOS 12 will be here on 17 September and will add dozens of cool new features to your iPhone (as long as it can run it – find out if your iPhone get iOS 12 here). In this article we show how to download, install and run the latest version of iOS on your iPhone and iPad, as well as how to fix any problems you may encounter. (If these issues prove especially tricky, take a look at What to do if you can’t update iOS.)
Even after iOS 12 launches you can expect lots of smaller point updates to follow, as Apple adds tweaks and important security fixes as well as new features, so we’ll also look at how to install these updates below.
We’ll start with some important preparation steps; but you can jump to the update process if you prefer. And if you’re looking for how to install a pre-release beta version of iOS 12 – then turn to How to install an iOS beta.
How to prepare your iPhone/iPad
Before you update iOS, we recommend that you do the following:
- Back up – Use iCloud or iTunes to back up your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.
- Save a copy of iOS 11 – We explain how below.
- Make space – See our guide to making room on your iPhone or iPad. Alternatively, you can update iOS via iTunes and save yourself the trouble. If you don’t have enough space, iOS may offer to temporarily delete apps from your device to make room, then reinstall them after the update is complete.
- You’ll also need to be plugged in – running out of power mid-download can foul up the update.
- And check you are on a safe Wi-Fi network (we don’t recommend you do this over a hotel or cafe Wi-Fi). It’s also a good idea to make sure that you’re downloading over Wi-Fi and not via 3G or 4G, or you may end up running out of data.
This is a long shot, and fiddly, so you may want to skip this. But if you change your mind and want to downgrade to the previous version, this will be easier if you make sure you’ve saved a copy. (And bear in mind that a lot of the time it isn’t possible even then!)
Look in Library/iTunes and select the Software Updates folder for your device. (Access the Library folder in your user folder by holding down the Option/Alt key in Finder and selecting Go > Library.) If your Mac has deleted this file, launch your web browser and search for download ipsw. Make sure you get the right one for your device.
Now to download and install the latest version of iOS.
- Go to Settings > General > Software Update. iOS will check if there’s a new version.
- If there is, iOS will offer details about the new update.
- Tap Download and Install, and enter your passcode when prompted, and agree to the terms & conditions.
- Your device will download the update in the background, and you can carry on with other things. Once the download has finished you will receive a notification saying an update is available for your device.
- Tap Details. This will take you back to Settings > General > Software Update.
- Tap Install Now. The iPhone or iPad will now start to install the iOS update. (It may take a while.)
- Alternatively, you can select Later. iOS will offer to update during the night – you just need to make sure the device is plugged in.
How to upgrade iOS from a beta version
If you previously tried out a beta version of iOS ahead of its full release, you should note that in order to get upcoming non-beta iOS releases you will need to remove the Apple configuration profile from your device.
You can do this by going to Settings > General > Profile and selecting iOS Beta Software Profile, then choosing Delete Profile and entering your passcode to confirm the change. From now on you will receive official updates (rather than beta updates) as normal.
This Content is Generated from RSS Feeds, if your content is featured and you would like to be removed, please Contact Us With your website address and name of site you wish to be removed from.
You can control what content is distributed in your RSS Feed by using your Website Editor. If you are looking to make money from running your own business at home, visit the links below.
- Start your Own Business
- Internet Business Opportunity
- Online Business For Sale
- Turnkey Websites For Sale